Steganography Software

John Schofield John.Schofield at sprawl.expressnet.org
Fri Dec 23 09:38:11 PST 1994

I am working on a review of the various steganography programs out there for
the March/April issue of Keep Out magazine.  I have a pretty good list of the
stuff that's available in the DOS world, but I may have missed plenty of stuff
available on the Internet.

If anyone is aware of later versions of these programs, or of a program not
listed here that should be, *please* let me know.  (Please include an FTP
site and directory and/or a BBS to download it from.)  I want this review to
be as complete and accurate as possible.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are of course welcome.

Here's everything I have so far, including partial descriptions:

HDSK41.ZIP     Hide and Seek v 4.1b.  Data hiding/seeking using GIF files.

JSTEGV4.ZIP    This version of the Independent JPEG Group's JPEG Software
               (release 4) has been modifed for 1-bit steganography in JFIF
               output files.

MANDLEXE.ZIP   MandelSteg V1.0, including GIFExtract V.10, for DOS.  These
               two programs allow you to hide confidential data in fractal
               GIF images.

PGE10B.ZIP     Pretty Good Envelope (P.G.E.) v1.0.  PGE will "insert" your
               data into a GIF or JPG file.

S-TOOLS.ZIP    S-Tools for Windows.  Version 2.00.  Steganography program
               for Windows.  S-Tools (Steganography Tools) brings you the
               capability of `hiding' files within Windows sound files
               (.WAV),  bitmap (.BMP) and CompuServe GIF files.

STEGO.ZIP      Send encrypted messages and files which are undetectible and
               REQUIRE NO KEY! Programs and messages are submerged into a
               graphic file (usually a B/W TIF file).  Once the object has
               been hidden the TIF appears unchanged.

STEGODOS.ZIP   StegoDos aka Black Wolf's Picture Encoder, Version 0.90b.
               For 320x200x256 only.

WNS210.ZIP     White Noise Storm: Data Encryption/Steganography package.
               You can use this to hide files in PCX pictures so nobody will
               see them.

Thanks very much!

John Schofield
Publisher, Keep Out

**EZ-PGP v1.07

... I thought about being born again, but mum said no.
--- Blue Wave/RA v2.12