No privacy with DigiCash

Hal hfinney at shell.portal.com
Tue Dec 20 18:24:18 PST 1994

One of the reasons we want http redirectors is so we could buy things
anonymously.  There is not much point in anonymous digital cash when your
web connections advertise who you are.

But, the current ecash implementation from DigiCash doesn't allow this
to work!  When you buy something, the vendor has to know your machine
name because he wants to connect back to your ecash wallet process.
So even if you did connect via a redirector, your anonymity would be
destroyed (or at least badly hurt) when you tell it your machine
name so it can connect to you.

This is a really bad way of doing it IMO because it seems to defeat
one of the big selling points of DigiCash.  Is there something I am
overlooking, some way to buy things privately with DigiCash?

Hal