c'punks top 5

Adam Shostack adam at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 20 12:31:57 PST 1994

Jonathan Cooper wrote:

| > > 1.  anonymous http proxy servers ("re-webbers")
| >
| >   What is wanted/meant for these ?
|
|   A proxy server for HTTP transport so that one could access the web
| anonymously.  I don't think coding is the problem here; one could be
| easily hacked out in perl, or you could use CERN HTTPD as a proxy
| server.  I think the problem is finding someone who will offer up their
| machine as a place to run this service.

	It might also be nice to encrypt the connection from client to
proxy.  Otherwise, this service only protects you from the server
knowing who you are.  If you add encryption, then it begins to offer
anonymity agianst people watching the proxy.  (Assuming there are
multiple connections to the proxy.)

Adam

						       -Hume