The Economist follows my Electric Dreams!

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Mon Dec 19 13:23:20 PST 1994

The December 12th episode of my column, Electric Dreams #40, discussed the
relative success in text processing using statistical methods over conventional
natural language processing. The latest issue of The Economist (Dec 17-24th)
has this as its lead science story. I congratulate myself on having one over
my favourite periodical!

Of course my article was 500 words, so the larger Economist story was more
detailed. While I mentioned technology developed by the US National Security
Agency and Architext, The Economist referred to research undertaken at BT
(formerly British Telecom) and Cornell University, especially the work on
automated text-summarization programs.

If you'd like a copy of my original article, please send a blank message
to rishab at arbornet.org with "get dreams-40" (without the quotes) as the
Subject: field. For an index, send "get index"; to automatically receive
future episodes of this 5kbyte/week column, send "subscribe".

Happy Christmas and New Year!

Rishab

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
rishab at dxm.ernet.in                                  the space where we live"
rishab at arbornet.org                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA