"Any of the mailers that you can use on a shell are oxen"

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Dec 17 15:07:41 PST 1994

> L. Futplex McCarthy wrote:
> There can be no other lasting solution but to abandon VTwhatever in favor
> of bitmaped output devices. Since running X over a dial-up connection is

Have you ever done it?  It isn't too bad.  Especially if you are
running well-behaved apps (most are) that aren't too graphical.
Really only large images are a problem.

Oddly, I've even seen better performance with xterm shells than telnet
through a firewall.

I haven't even seen the new version of X over slip protocol compression.

> rather inefficient, and considering the significant computing power of the
> PC's that are now being underused as dumb terminals, processing the data
> locally seems to be a sensible solution.

I agree.

> -- Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
>    PGP encrypted mail preferred.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams    25Feb1965 VW,OH      sdw at lig.net http://www.lig.net/~sdw
Senior Consultant      510.503.9227 CA Page 513.496.5223 OH Page BA Aug94-Dec95