McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

Jonathon Fletcher jonathon at izanagi.sbi.com
Thu Dec 15 17:32:17 PST 1994

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Timothy C. May wrote:

> I see two "stable attractors" for text/graphics/multimedia/etc. sent
> over the Net:
>
> 1. Straight text, ASCII, 80 column format. All systems can handle
> this, all mailers and newsreaders can handle it, it's what the Usenet
> is essentially based upon, and it gets the job done. It meets the
> needs of 95% of us for 95% of our needs.
>
> 2. The Web, for graphics, images, etc. This will be the next main
> stable attractor, deployed on many platforms. (I'm assuming the debate
> here about Netscape standards does not imply much of a fragmentation,
> that Mosaic, Netscape, MacWeb, etc., will all basically be able to
> display Web pages in much the same way.)

Okay, I'll go with that. I'd just like to point out that http (transport
for documents serverd on the web) uses mime. That's how your browser
knows something is html, or a picture of some format, or postscript.

find a web server (pick one) and telnet to it:

% telnet my.web.server 80

enter the following line and press return *twice*
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

(you need the second line because the server is expecting a mime header
from you - ended by a blank line).

You'll get some answer like:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK