FV fine print

Eric Hughes eric at remailer.net
Thu Dec 15 09:10:50 PST 1994

   From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb at nsb.fv.com>

   FYI, this is a direct carryover from the standard terms & conditions of
   a Visa/MasterCard merchant account.

Now that's what I thought it might be, and I'm not particularly
surprised.  If you use Visa, you have to play by Visa's rules.

On cypherpunks, though, information lifetime is just one of those
generally interesting questions.

This information storage requirement is reminiscent of the Bank
Secrecy Act of (I think) 1974.  Is this clause from Visa/MC a direct
(or indirect, even) result of that act, or is this just coincidence?
This is banking arcanity, not crypto arcanity, and I'm not expecting
an answer very hard.

Eric