bashing mcom

Jonathan Rochkind jrochkin at cs.oberlin.edu
Tue Dec 13 13:42:11 PST 1994

Can we maybe discuss other things then how Mcom fucked up?  They've said
specifically that they plan to support IPSP as soon as it is viable to do
so. They've said they plan to support whatever MIME encryption thingamajigs
exist, as soon as they are standardized.  [And don't get mad at them for
waiting for it to become standardized when their own protocol isn't. I have
talked with someone developing commercial software who spent some serious
time writing stuff to handle MIME encryption, only to have the specs change
on him significantly.]

Now, maybe they are lying about this.  But you aren't going to get anything
else out of them on this list.  They've come as close as they are going to
to admitting they made a mistake with SSL.  I believe a good paraphrase of
what wa said (I didnt' keep a copy of the message) was that "however it
looks now, SSL made sense at the time, and it's a done thing now."  Maybe
they are only saying this much to appease the list, but again, that's all
you are going to get out of them.   It seems like it would be an
impossibility economically and public-relations-ly for them to just abandom
SSL, and they probably dont' want to either.

But they've said that they plan on supporting IPSP, MIME encryption stuff,
and anything else out there that will do the job.  I'm not sure what else
you want to drag out of them.  Can we maybe stop this flame fest and let
the list return to it's normal traffic levels?