IDEA freeware

Jim Gillogly jim at acm.org
Tue Dec 13 12:15:31 PST 1994

> "Kipp E.B. Hickman" <kipp at warp.mcom.com> writes:
> On Dec 13,  3:45pm, Tom Jones wrote:
> > Subject: IDEA freeware
> >
> > Please explain where this "freeware" IDEA code comes from.  IDEA is a
> > patented algorithm that cannot be used without a license.  PGP comes
> > with a license.  I know of no other code in the US that has such a
> > license.

> If you are using it for non-comercial use, it's free.

If you're using PGP for non-commercial use, IDEA is free because it's
licensed for non-commercial PGP use.  I'm pretty confident that you need
to get a separate IDEA license with any new product you use it in,
commercial or not.

I have the e-mail contact address somewhere, and can post it if need be.

	Jim Gillogly
	Mersday, 23 Foreyule S.R. 1994, 20:14