HTTP security

Eric Rescorla ekr at eit.COM
Tue Dec 13 09:09:06 PST 1994

I sent a slightly less polished version of this to Perry, and then
realized he'd cc'ed Cypherpunks.. but it was gone by then...

Perry Metzger sez:
>Eric Rescorla says:
>> In the email world, you don't necessarily have any sort of prior
>> relationship with the person you're communicating with and that public
>> key cryptography is relatively cheap. (When it takes minutes to
>> ship mail across the net, who's going to notice a second or two
>> of signature verification?) However, in the case of the Web,
>> things are very different.
>Since one can sign pages just once (they are written once and read
>often) and one can pick one's signature algorithm to speed up
>verifications relative to the signatures (using small exponents is the
>usual trick fo this), I'm not sure its that big a problem.
You are of course correct. I should have chosen the example of
encryption, where you can't preenhance.

>I'd like these algorithms to support the serving of signed pages from
>hosts that do not know the keys that the pages have been signed with
>-- offline signature schemes like the one I just described will
>support that nicely.
Yes. Conveniently, we've anticipated this requirement. The
content type of an SHTTP message can be set to indicate that the
enhanced content is actually an enhanced document rather than
an enhanced HTTP request/reply. So, you just cons up some
headers and drop in the presigned page...

But this is a very good point. I'm glad I'm not the only person
who thinks this is an important requirement.

Details on this can be found in the current SHTTP spec (Section 2.3.3)
<http://www.commerce.net/information/standards/drafts/shttp.txt>

-Ekr