Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

Marc Andreessen by way of marca@mcom.com Marc Andreessen marca at mcom.com
Tue Dec 13 00:58:01 PST 1994

In article <9412121811.AA55359 at amanda.dial.intercon.com>, amanda at intercon.com (Amanda Walker) wrote:

> > As for the IETF standards process, we are pushing the
> > document into the RFC process.
>
> Precisely.  Rather than working with others in the industry and research
> communities, you are trying to push your proposal into the standards track.

Amanda, we're not trying to push anything into the standards track.
We're publishing SSL as an informational RFC, and we have separately
submitted SSL as a proposal to the W3O working group on security
(in parallel with SHTTP and a handful of other proposals).  Nothing
is being pushed into the standards track.

We are trying to work with others in the industry and research communities,
via the above actions, by publishing SSL on our server, by participating
in this forum and others, etc., and we are generally succeeding, judging
from the overall high level of feedback we're getting from people genuinely
interesting in discussing the issues.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen