BofA+Netscape

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Mon Dec 12 23:01:35 PST 1994

Doug Barnes writes
> 2) Internet standards are set by the participants in
>    the internet. They move much more quickly than any
>    other standards body I've had the (mis)fortune of
>    dealing with, the standards are open and freely available,
>    and free reference implementations are required.

The reason the internet standards process works so well
is because there is usually no money involved.

On this matter, there is money.

Every example I gave, where the standards setting process
failed, is because lagging players want bad standards.
It is in their financial interest.

Secondly, the Internet Standards process is itself
a substitute for the marketplace in a non money
environment.  Netscape is working in the real
marketplace.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd at netcom.com