Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Mon Dec 12 20:36:41 PST 1994

Perry E. Metzger writes
> As it stands [netscape] come off looking
> like ignorant blunderers.

Perry, you are wrong.

Now Netscape have done a lot of silly stuff.  It is painfully
obvious that they developed Netscape for windows without
using debug windows, and as a result Netscape crashes my
system continuously.

But reality is that they have produced by far the coolest browser
there is, and they are bringing crypto to the masses, and you,
and Eric Hughes, and most of us, have not yet brought crypto
to the masses.

Give them credit for doing what we have talked of doing, but
have not actually done.

Sure, if you had done it, the crypto would be better.  If
I had done it, it would not crash all the time and its
caching algorithm would be way superior.

But I did not do it and you did not do it.  They did it.

Perhaps they will fix the crashing in version 1.1, and
the crypto and the caching in version 1.2

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd at netcom.com