public key algorithms and Netscape

Eric Hughes eric at remailer.net
Mon Dec 12 18:11:05 PST 1994

The claim was made here by someone at Netscape that no suitable public
key algorithms existed other than RSADSI technology.  I don't remember
how explicit this claim was; it may have been an implication of some
more general statement.

I note that the folks at Netscape must never have heard of elliptic
curve algorithms for public key technology.  I would hazard that
representatives at RSADSI stated or implied that such technology was
covered by their patents.  I would then ask if they said so in
writing.

Making claims about a patent that are knowingly false is grounds for
vacating the patent.

The IEEE P1363 working group on cryptography standards is moving
forward with elliptic curve cryptosystems but not with RSA because of
patent issues.  Coincidence?

Eric