extra dashes in PGP-related blocks?

Jonathan Rochkind jrochkin at cs.oberlin.edu
Mon Dec 12 11:02:04 PST 1994

When people have been posting their public keys, or encrypted address
blocks, to various lists I'm on, all of the "-----BEGIN whatever..." lines
seem to have a "- " preppended to them. So, for instance, they look like:

- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2
[stuff]
- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----

I'm guessing if I really sent a block like that to a remailer, the remailer
would hork because of the prepended "- "s.  I know that sometimes people's
public keys they've posted to a list look like that, and when I try to add
them to PGP, it horks, and I've got to go into a text editor and remove the
"- ", and then add it to my keyring.

Does anyone know what it is that's putting in these "- "s, why it's putting
them in, and how to stop it?