[cpunks] Re: public accounts / PGP / passphrases

tim werner werner at mc.ab.com
Sun Dec 11 23:13:16 PST 1994

>Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 05:24:12 -0500
>From: "L. McCarthy" <lmccarth at ducie.cs.umass.edu>
>...The only solution I can imagine is to keep
>a notebook computer running Linux at work, and dial in to the DECstation
>five feet away from my desk at work. I've no idea how to convince the tech
>staff here to add a dedicated phone line to my lab for this purpose. Any
>better suggestions on using PGP safely during the workday ?

Well, for one thing you don't need a phone line in your scenario.  You
can probably just connect the serial port of your laptop to one of the
decstation serial ports, using a null-modem cable (pins 2 and 3 swapped;
4 jumpered to 5; 6, 8, and 20 jumpered to each other; and 7 passed
through, or something like that)

But I agree that the idea of buying a laptop so you can use PGP at work
is odious.  There must be a better way.

tw