Real-time surveillance of the police

blancw at pylon.com blancw at pylon.com
Sun Dec 11 22:45:08 PST 1994

Responding to msg by Michael D. Crawford:

. . .  if a street gang felt the cops were  thumping their
members with unwarranted enthusiasm, the gang could purchase  a
case of cameras at the local Price Club, and everyone could
carry them to  photograph the cops.

The first thing I imagined on reading this, was numbers of
young blacks in the ghetto carrying on their shoulders - not
boom boxes, but camcorders.

But next I multiplied and elaborated and exaggerated the idea
of everyone protecting themselves by any and all surveillance
devices possible and available, and came up with this vision of
a society where membership required that everyone be amenable
to being recorded on contact with anyone and their cat.

"Of course, I respect you   -   I just don't *trust* you."

Blanc