NYT on Insecure Phones

Jonathan Cooper entropy at IntNet.net
Wed Dec 7 21:46:57 PST 1994

> It's worse than that!  They will allow customers to use their service
> in NYC, I'm told by a customer of their's visiting this weekend, if
> they pay for the call with a credit card (IE, VISA, MC, etc) that they
> must *give* *an* *operator* *over* *the* *cellphone*.

   Cell1 is just not incredibly smart about security, physical or
otherwise.  An aquaintance of mine found a "Fraud Alert Bulletin" in a
Cellular One trash can which warned about the dangers of not shredding
your trash.  Of course, in the same bag was wads of credit card info, NAM
& ESN info, etc.

=jon

( --------[ Jonathan D. Cooper ]--------[ entropy at intnet.net ]-------- )
( PGP 2.6.2 keyprint: 31 50 8F 82 B9 79 ED C4  5B 12 A0 35 E0 9B C0 01 )