Good times virus thing-a-ma-bobber

Ian Farquhar ianf at sydney.sgi.com
Tue Dec 6 23:08:02 PST 1994

On Dec 7,  1:04am, ADAM GERSTEIN, _THE_ MACGURU wrote:
> Need I remind you of a certain Robert T. Morris? Does the "Internet Worm"
mean
> anything to you? Sure, it wasn't actual email, but it did use email and other
> means of transport to cripple the net in a matter of hours.

The Internet Worm used the sendmail DEBUG mode to execute commands on
a remote system.  It did not propogate itself via email messages, which was
what the original (ridiculous) warning claimed.

I can't feel a lot of sympathy for people who took this announcement
seriously.  Such stupidity reaps its own rewards.

						Ian.