Are there *any* internet services runnable from powerpc

Lucky Green shamrock at netcom.com
Tue Dec 6 00:33:12 PST 1994

Tom wrote:
>I have a power mac 7100 with an ethernet port to the internet. Does anyone
>know if I could, for example, get scripts for Eudora to snarf mail and run
>a keyserver, or set up an anon remailer, or do anything at all remotely
>cool and for the betterment of the crypto/privacy/pgp/etc. services
>available to the internet public? I could leave my mac on 24/7 serving up
>services. When I'm debugging code it might crash, but I suppose there
>should be fail-safe systems.
>
>It doesn't seem like I can do much unless I buy a unix emulator, and I
>don't have the money for that. I'm a student.

Yeah, A/UX is rather overpriced. But you don't need it for a web site. Your
PPC can provide any Web service your heart desires without you having to
buy A/UX.

You can open an HTTP server using the excellent MacHTTP, a ftp site using
Peter Lewis' MacFTP, etc. You can even use perl on the Mac using MacPerl,
the list goes on. All these programs are available at your friendly
neighbourhood InfoMac mirror site.

 I am not so sure about the keyserver, though. I suppose it might be
possible to write an AppleScript for the new scriptable versions of MacPGP
and Eudora, but I don't think it would be worth the effort. There are
enough keyservers out there.

IMHO, the best source of info regarding running your own web server on a
Mac is the MacHTTP mailing list. You can join by sending a message to
listserv at oac3.hsc.uth.tmc.edu with "SUBSCRIBE MACHTTP_TALK Your Name" in
the body of the message. Also check the MacHTTP home page for announcements
and
frequently asked questions and answers. It can be found at:

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/mac_info/machttp_info.html

Enjoy,

-- Lucky Green <shamrock at netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.