2048-bit keys??

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Dec 4 16:04:09 PST 1994

> just curious, how many random bytes does it take to generate these
> fuckers and can the keyservers out their handle em yet?

Well, it needs about 2048 bits of randomness, I would guess.  It
depends on how many bits/keystroke you can get on your machine...

As for the keyservers, well, I know that mine (pgp.mit.edu) can.

I should let you know that there is a small buglet in PGP 2.6.2 that
will not allow you to generate 2048-bit keys.  It limits you to 2047
bits (there is a piece of code that leaves that one extra bit up there
-- oops).

This shouldn't affect anything, except people will only get 2047 bits
instead of 2048, but I personally do not consider this a problem.

-derek