MIT Keysigner CA

Christian Odhner cdodhner at PrimeNet.Com
Fri Dec 2 22:04:15 PST 1994

On Fri, 2 Dec 1994, Derek Atkins wrote:

> everyone to sign everyone else's key.  We plan to make the MIT
> Keysigner key widely distributed, and ask that everyone trust that key
> to sign other keys.

It seems strange that people would be expected to trust a key to sign
other keys, just because somebody (even Derek, whom I have a measure of
respect for) asked them to. I trust a key to be an introducer if and when
I am sure that a signature by that key means that the signed key belongs
to the identity (be it "real" or a 'nym) it claims to represent.
Authentication via Kerbie may or may not indicate this. Such a signature
would give some information that I might use to make decisions on whether
or not to trust the new key, but it certainly would not be trusted if it
was the only signature.

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
cdodhner at primenet.com	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11