using us crypto sw outside usa

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Thu Dec 1 23:35:33 PST 1994

Tomaz Borstnar writes

> Hello!
>
> 	I was wondering what is the legal status for using rsaref ooutside usa.
> Is it legal or not?

Exporting it, as for example when you ftp it off a
site in the US is illegal.  Illegal in the US that is.

Of course if you are not in the US, you probably do not
give a shit.  And if you are in the US, then you are not
exporting it.

This law was written for gun runners, not crypto exports.

> Also, what is the legal status of RC4 code posted to the net?

Lawyers will come armed with scalpels and will surgically
remove this information from your brain if you reveal that
you know it.  (just kidding.)

But seriously folks, it was a trade secret, and therefore if
you were the guy who blew it then you are in serious trouble :-)

Of course anybody can sue anyone for anything (in America)
but I am happy to report that American lawyers are profoundly
reluctant to sue in overseas courts.  And even if the American
courts could get at you, they do not have a leg to stand on.
(Of course that has not stopped them in the past.)

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd at acm.org