We are ALL guests (except Eric)

Blanc Weber blancw at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 1 10:21:50 PST 1994

From: Eric Hughes

These discussions on the interest of power are fascinating to me.  So
many of them do not take into account my own desires to create a
useful discussion forum, which desires bind me tighter than any law
ever could.  There are some very interesting implications of this _de
facto_ solipsism to achievement of equilibria in games with iterated
dominance.

Eric is so cool for starting a flame war about his authority, on his
very semi-own list.   Turn-around is fair play, do unto others, and all that.

For myself, I list below some items of importance which I would look
for in deciding whether to participate with expectations of complicity
to any given 'rules':

.  advance knowledge of the requirements & procedures
.  whether they are consistent with the purpose they serve
.  whether there has been an intelligent argument presented which would
convince me that it is more advantageous to do as expected, than not
.  that there have been means provided to be able to follow through, or that
.  there has been information provided on how to obtain the means
needed for follow through
.  that information is available on how to overcome the obstacles &
difficulties which could prevent adherence to the given requirements

i.e.,  that those who place certain requirements upon membership also
make it possible to comply with them by preparing the way, making it
easy to do so and providing sufficient appeal to make it worth the trouble.

Blanc