Government and Repression

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Wed Aug 31 21:01:31 PDT 1994

Rachel_P._Kovner at gorgias.ilt.columbia.edu writes
> Umm, minor point, but just for my personal clarification, are you
> sure there's corporal punishment in Japan?  I seem to remember
> that during this whole Singapore thing, Japan was often raised
> as a model of a society with Singaporean crime rates and no
> corporal punishment.

There is no corporal punishment for crimes, but if you are
a prisoner and you misbehave, you will get wacked, just as
you will in most places.  In Japan they do not seem terribly
embarrassed about this.  I saw this on TV.  A bunch of prisoners
sitting perfectly still for a long period, and a guard with a cane
who wacked anyone who moved.  He did not wack them very hard.

It looked perfectly civilized to me, and I recommend the practice
to US prisons.

How can you maintain discipline in a prison otherwise?

Answer:  In US prisons there is no discipline.  Prisoners learn
to be aggressive, rude, and obnoxious to the guards and to each
other.  Good training to render them unemployable when they
emerge.