Civil crypto anarchy

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Aug 30 06:32:54 PDT 1994

Responding to msg by nobody at ds1.wu-wien.ac.at () on Sun, 28 Aug
 2:32 AM

>So basically the protocols are interesting in an
>academic way, and we  could sit here and discuss the
>possibilities, but then I suppose a  discussion about
>atomic bombs will likely be of greater impact on our
>future than crypto anarchy will.

Out of your several thoughful comments this one strikes some
sparks.

Terror of nuclear weapons is universal.  Nothing about crypto
anarchy is terrifying (yet).

A link between the two is not fanciful because of the challenge
to those who hold secrets posed by crypto anarchy.

One singularity of the nuclear arsenal was that few people
actually know its capability.  Its secrecy is a part of the
threat.  The same is true of the more general national security
apparatus, most of whose power derives from privileged
knowledge of weapon-systems capabilities.

By extension of state power, under the rubric of national
security, to other areas of government, often under the guise
of intelligence and law enforcement needs, we have a society
where a small number of economic, scientific, political,
military and law enforcement persons hold privileged secrets
and a very large citizenry who does not.  Because of suspected
abuse of privilege, these keepers of secrets are no longer
trusted.

Electoral politics, once thought to offer means to throw the
scoundrels out, now feeds this suspicion, rather than relieving
it,  because little of entrenched power structures are changed
by the voting process.  The public process merely cosmetizes
the means for exploiting the the secret privileges of the few.

The crypto and related technological and civil issues discussed
on this list might be viewed as exploring how to redirect the
science and technology, heretofore used sustain a national
security-driven economy, toward creating the apparatus for a
more just and benefical civil society, one less fraught with
military, police and economic insecurity and fear of the tools
of privileged secrecy.

Mastering cryptography and devising ways to put it to
remunerative use are honorable and constructive alternatives to
enduring unresponsive government.  If successful they will set
examples, and provide tools,  for others to diminish state
dependency.

However, there is still the task of proving that crypto anarchy
is not itself a play for power by those who write and master
its cryptographic code.  But better to test that in the public
arena rather remain hidden and protected by state secrecy.

Fierce opposition should be expected, not least by demonizing
crypto anarchy.  It will probably begin within the crypto
anarchy enterprise under the guise of skeptical criticism and
provocative baiting.

It is worth recalling that classical black anarchy, the secret,
lethal version as distinguished from open black flag type, is
used by despots to justify their ruthless measures.  Black
anarchists, as agents of despots,  mingle with avowed
flag-wavers to spy and provoke acts that lead to repressive
crackdowns.  Black anarchists never announce themselves as such
but may freely admit to being "anarchistic" as a wild-eyed
subterfuge.  Inept provocations sometimes reveal them but the
most able are never detected.

John