In Search of Genuine DigiCash

Claborne, Chris claborne at microcosm.sandiegoca.NCR.COM
Mon Aug 29 18:43:00 PDT 1994

> From: Eric Hughes <hughes at ah.com>

>    Well we agree that the selling point is economic efficiency. But
"anonymity
>    reduces overhead" ?
>
>    All that you save is the space required for the recording of names.
>
> From a naive implementor's view, yes, perhaps that is the whole
> savings.  But the implementor's view is not the executive's view, and
> many activities which the technical community does not understand have
> real economic valuations.
>
> Take "recording of names", for example.  You're going to have to hire
> (physical) people to look at other (physical) people and look at
> various forms of ID.  You'll have to pay these employees, and staff
> costs always dominate the other costs in service industries.  You'll
> have to ascertain that a particular public key, for example, matches
> that of the (physical) person who opened the account.
>
> When the gov't comes and asks for all the records for a certain name,
> you'll have to produce all that you have or be criminally negligent.
> I assure you, setting up an archival system for seven years of
> transaction information with high reliability is not inexpensive.
>
> There are more savings, which others can enumerate.  I didn't even get
> into legal savings, for example.
>
> Eric

   Your point is an excellent example of what doing business in the US would
be like... A pain in the ass!  If we had someone from the banking community
that knew all of the ins and outs, we probably find that setting this up in
the US breaks laws, would cost too much in all of the pay-offs to govt.
officials, take too long,  etc.  I would suggest setting up in a off-shore
e$ banking system to avoid all of this and get it off the ground quickly.

   Aren't the Swiss are known to have sufficient privacy?  They might be
open to setting something up and an existing Swiss bank would have
credibility.  Privacy issues, regarding transactions, could be kept private.
 Why do you think crooks use them?  I have no direct experience with Swiss
accounts  and have no idea what it would take to interest  the Swiss Banking
community.  Anything that our government would come up with would be???
     a.   A clusterfuck.

     b.   Designed so that they could track the movement of money for
          IRS and of course, to fight crime..

     c.   Expensive because of all the regulations.

     d.   Have very little value add.

     e.  All of the above.

     f.   None of the above.

If you chose "E", you are correct. :)

   The ability to issue orders to a bank to move e$ from one account to
another could be done quickly and securely in any bank.  If the destination
is not at that bank, then the bank could create a check on your behalf  and
reference your name, account or what ever you want ... if anything.
 CheckFree in the US does this now but your name or the account your are
paying on is on the check and I am sure our govt. has access to all the info
in their database of transactions.  I could also send you a e-note that you
could then send to the bank and quickly confirm that the transaction is
covered. (This would be better than todays banking where a merchant can call
a bank and ask them about my account but boost the amount of the transaction
to find out if I'm ritch bastard or not.  With a crypto-sig on an e-note, I
would be guaranteed that my bank would only answer questions about the
amount on my e-note.

Example.

   I ask you to move $e}1000.00 to a reference number X20567 at my Swiss
bank.  When I see the transaction deposited into my account I can send you
my software.  This account could be a temporary holding account or my
permanent account.  If you use the same Swiss bank or another Swiss bank
that is part of the e$ community, it could take just a second and be easy
for both of us.

Issues:
   I guess it boils down to this, we have to have someone that we can trust.
 The issue of currency conversion would also be a new one for me.  Would my
money be Swiss?  If the transaction gos south, what do I do, I am no longer
covered by US law and would have no proof that this transaction ever took
place (remember, no one can ask the bank for records). Hmmmm

   Is there a way that we can make the answer  to my question above = "F"?

                                        ...  __o
                                       ..   -\<,
chris.claborne at sandiegoca.ncr.com      ...(*)/(*).          CI$: 76340.2422
PGP Pub Key fingerprint =  A8 FA 55 92 23 20 72 69  52 AB 64 CC C7 D9 4F CA
Avail on Pub Key server.