Announcing Bellcore's Trusted Software Integrity (Betsi) System

Paul Robichaux paul at poboy.b17c.ingr.com
Mon Aug 29 14:26:33 PDT 1994

> >Fingerprint:
> >
> >5F 34 26 5F 2A 48 6B 07  90 C9 98 C5 32 C3 44 0C

> I've seen this sort of thing several places...

> Am I totally off base in thinking that distributing the fingerprint in
>  the same way as the public key is close to totally pointless?

Distributing the key fingerprint allows J. Random Human to correlate a
key supplied via one method with that supplied via another. For
example, now that I have the fingerprint for the Betsi key, I can
verify whether any other alleged Betsi key I see is real or not.

It's a lot easier to read off & cross-check 32-character fingerprints
than the entire key block, especially as signatures are added and the
key block grows in size.

- -Paul

- --
Paul Robichaux, KD4JZG        |  Demand that your elected reps support the
perobich at ingr.com             |  Constitution, the whole Constitution, and
Not speaking for Intergraph.  |  nothing but the Constitution.