The Effects of Thinking & Writing

blancw at pylon.com blancw at pylon.com
Mon Aug 29 00:31:51 PDT 1994

Responding to msg by nobody at ds1.wu-wien.ac.at

>I think that writing and thinking is the only thing any
>of us can do  that will have impact.  The only coding
>effort I can see paying off is  helping to make PGP
>better.  Maybe that's what I'll do.
>
>Thoth

I have read in public & private, comments about cypherpunks and
how there is really little to be expected from the list in
terms of practical solutions to governments, surveillance, the
new world order, etc.

It sets me to reflect upon what people could really expect to
get from a mailing list;  why it is that there is
disillusionment about what the members seek to accomplish, such
that there are discrediting comments about what will really
happen as a result of its existence:  what is it that leads
some people to expect that reading other people's mail is going
to change the NSA's mind, or the world at large?  Is it because
"real" cypherpunks write code?  Perhaps the expectations for
the range of the efficacy of coding are a little too high in
some people's estimation?  (Just because criminals & the NSA
think it's important, doesn't mean e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y else will
think so, too.  Okay, so you're going to disagree with me about
that.  So flame me.)

I must reflect upon the fact that this is, after all, just a
list -  just reading material and interchange from anyone who
feels sufficiently motivated to reply or comment or just send
in their .02 cents.  Perhaps someone's intellect could supply
imaginative inspiration, perhaps their knowledge could provide
missing pieces to a puzzle, perhaps their style could bolster a
failing courage towards autonomous thinking & therefore acting.
 What could really be realized from a voluntary gathering of
various & sundry assorted strangers who subscribe for their own
self-decided particular reasons, which they don't divulge to
all, to get what they will and contribute what they may at such
time as they feel sufficiently motivated to do so?

Is this the Cypherpunk Savings & Loan Division?  or did I reach
the wrong department.

Blanc