We get the government we deserve

nobody at shell.portal.com nobody at shell.portal.com
Sun Aug 28 19:41:51 PDT 1994

alex <cp at omaha.com> wrote:
> nobody at shell.portal.com wrote:
> > I was talking about this with a cop recently, and he said that the DARE
> > program was the most effective tactic against drug abuse.  He admitted
>
> Sorry to be straying from crypto, but:
>
> I heard exactly the opposite, that studies have shown no difference
> whatsover in the usage rates in kids who went through DARE and kids who
> don't go through DARE.

I don't know; this was just one cop's opinion based upon his experience.  He
said most of his offenders were in their late 40s, having picked up a heroin
problem after taking mophine in Vietnam, and they were doing all sorts of
crazy (and stupid) things to support their habits.  He said that the drug
problem was 'getting better' because many of the junkies were dying from
overdoses, and fewer of the younger generation were getting involved in
that type of thing.  YMMV depending on which part of the country you live in.

You're right, this isn't crypto, but I suppose the war on drugs does bring up
some privacy issues...