Nuclear Weapons Material

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Thu Aug 25 10:14:10 PDT 1994

[ Still waiting to be slapped down by someone who's pissed off about
this crypto-free thread, or else for the NSA to have the FBI arrest
all us mad bombers :-) ]

Mike Duvos writes:
 >                                          The idea is that the
 > uranium penetrates the armor and the charge then explodes once
 > the round is inside.

I don't know much about modern munitions, but I do know that armor
piercing rounds may have no charge in them at all.  Generally, when a
round pierces one side of a vehicle, it loses enough energy and is
suitably deformed to prevent exit from the opposite wall.  It does,
however, bounce around quite a bit, which can be plenty of fun in a
tank loaded with equipment, munitions, and soldiers.

It was discovered in the second world war that (with then-current
metallurgical techniques) introduction of a high-explosive charge into
the armor piercing round tended to reduce its effectiveness by
weakening the structure.

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5 at tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |