Nuclear Weapons Material

Ed Carp [Sysadmin] khijol!erc at apple.com
Wed Aug 24 09:45:47 PDT 1994

> In a fusion, or H Bomb, the tritium (which is just hydrogen with an
> extra two neutrons) is that which produces the boom -- the main fuel,
> as it were. Its a "neutron source" only in the weakest possible sense
> -- the same way dynamite might be considered to need nitroglycerine as
> a "neutron source". (I'm not sure that people outside of the bomb
> building industry really know *for sure* what the geometries used in
> the atomic weapon that sets off the fusion reaction.)

I don't understand your point.  The earliest devices used a pie shape
with a wedge cut out.  The actual geometry is rather unimportant to
getting a fission reaction - but it *is* important if you want to
maximize your yield.
Ed Carp, N7EKG    			Ed.Carp at linux.org, ecarp at netcom.com
Finger ecarp at netcom.com for PGP 2.5 public key		an88744 at anon.penet.fi
If you want magic, let go of your armor.  Magic is so much stronger than
steel!        -- Richard Bach, "The Bridge Across Forever"