Voluntary Governments?

Squeal dance at cicero.spc.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 24 06:59:40 PDT 1994

Jim Choate says:
>Can't speak for MIT but I can speak for UT Austin, they do have cells to hold
>prisoners. The security forces at that school attend the Tx Dept. of Public
>Safety training school and hold state law enforcement positions. The last
>thing you want to do is really piss one of these guys, you would end up
>in one of the state prisons for several years, Huntsville probably.
>
>Schools can use physical force against their students. I have personaly seen
>assaults on the presidents office when a group of students took it over in
>the late 80's because of UT Austin holdings in S. Africa.  I have seen them
>knock the holy shit out of students for nothing more than simply refusing to
>move fast enough. The officers stormed the office in full riot gear with
>M16 automatic rifles and smoke grenades.
>
>I suspect that MIT's security forces, even though it is a private school,
>hold 'peace officer' ratings and this implies that they can carry weapons
>at any time (though they don't usually). This holds for the small community
>college that I work at now as well. The officers don't carry guns as a regular
>part of their uniform except during registration when there are large amounts
>of cash on campus or when important officials visit the campus(es).

The University of Chicago's Security officers are sworn Chicago police;
they are given full police powers, if only limited jurisdiction.  Lucky for
everyone here they choose not to exercise *any* authority.

Trying to neither be foolish nor a lightweight....

 _/_/_/  _/_/_/   _/_/_/      _/      _/      It's dangerous to be right
_/       _/  _/   _/         _/_/     _/      when the government is wrong.
              _/