Neutron sources, alpha sources, pulling dragon's tail

Brad Dolan bdolan at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Aug 23 22:48:37 PDT 1994

Various comments on this thread, all lumped into an easy-to-ignore wad:

From:   IN%"werewolf at io.org"
To:     IN%"cypherpunks at toad.com"
CC:
Subj:   RE: Nuclear Weapons Material

> iqg1550 says:
> > Let's all rejoice at the birth of the latest member of The Horsemen of
> > The Criminal Apocalypse -- The Nuclear Weapons Material Smuggler.
> > I'm sure his four siblings will make plenty of room for their baby brother.
>
> I will point out, of course, that anyone who can afford the tens of
> millions to hundreds of millions the smugglers are reportedly charging
> for critical masses worth of Plutonium and Uranium, odds are that they
> can afford to buy un-escrowed secure communications equipment...

Not to mention the fact that without tritium, the "trigger" for nuclear
weapons (and extremely expensive and rare at $ 100m a gram) all you have
is a radioactive paperweight.

This misconception was put to rest by a number of postings such as the
following:

> Not to mention the fact that without tritium, the "trigger" for nuclear
> weapons (and extremely expensive and rare at $ 100m a gram) all you have
> is a radioactive paperweight.

The "trigger" isn't tritium.  Tritium (along with lithium 6) is used
in fusion bombs.  A fission-only device, ala Hiroshima or Nagasaki,
doesn't require any.

The trigger in the center of the plutonium core is a neutron source,
polonium if memory serves correctly.  Tritium is a beta emitter.

        --Paul