Nuclear Weapons Material

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Tue Aug 23 11:33:13 PDT 1994

Timothy C. May writes:
 > When we needed sources of alpha particles, we cracked open smoke
 > detectors and took out the Americium sources.

How much alpha do you really need (he asked, wondering when somebody
will get irate and insist this thread be terminated)?  I have some
mineral specimens at home that are fairly hot (uraninite,
cuprousklodowskite, and something else similar) with (this
non-physicist thinks) mostly alpha emissions.  Such things can be had
at your next gem & mineral show, if you're lucky.

[ No, my wife won't let me keep them in the house.  Some people! ]

| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5 at tivoli.com>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
|     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |