Snore while they snoop

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Aug 22 09:07:07 PDT 1994

Responding to msg by solman at MIT.EDU (Jason W Solinsky) on Mon,
22 Aug  1:42 AM

Tim says:

>> nothing that I've
>> seen mitigates the 1984 aspects of Cox's ideas.

You say:

>I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the aspects  of which
>you speak. Has he proposed some sort of nightmarish
>enforcement  system?

NY Times wrote yesterday on "metering" of software usage by
soft and hard means.  This type of monitoring could easily,
Clipperly, "1984"-ishly, record and report on other activities
of the user.

Recall alarms here recently about covert features of operating
systems.  Harmless looking hard devices may hide even more
monitoring features, steganographically (my bag).

John