Mail to all drivers in Oregon?

L. Todd Masco cactus at bb.com
Sun Aug 21 20:17:06 PDT 1994

In article <199408220237.VAA17153 at chaos.bsu.edu>,
Jim Hart <hart at chaos.bsu.edu> wrote:

>L. Todd Masco:
>>"we have
>> this information on you.  So could anybody with $125.  Call your congress
>> critter and complain."

>I love the first part of this idea, and hate the second part.
>But just what are we supposed to tell our Congressmen
>to do?

Fair enough. ^Call your congress critter and complain^Support anonymous
 transactions with digital cash from (company_name).  I agree with
 the anonymous poster who said that such a move should be put off
 until we have a real solution.  So, whatever company wants to kick
 this off could use this to generate political protection.

To put my comment in the right context, I was worried (when thinking
 about this) about anonymous digital cash being made illegal.  The
 intent would be to kill opposition to anonymous digital cash.

Eric mentioned in his talk at the SEA that companies exist that sell
 mailing lists of people of a particular ethnicity based upon spending
 patterns: the example he gave was a company marketing to jewish people
 bought a list of "believed jews" for the purpose of marketing (and Eric
 mentioned the irony).

Another variation of my suggestion would be to get such lists and
 to mail to people a statement saying "You are registered as an
 (ethnicity) in mailing lists."  Even a 50% hit rate would drive
 the issue home to people with enormous efficiency.

The intent isn't to get the government to Do Something, but to make
 people en mass aware that privacy is a real issue that affects them.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Large prime numbers imply arrest."  - Previously meaningless
cactus at bb.com  |   grammatically correct sentence.  Now...