Mail to all drivers in Oregon?

L. Todd Masco cactus at bb.com
Sun Aug 21 19:48:09 PDT 1994

Greg Broiles writes:
 > Probably more than any of us want to pony up. [...]
 > you're still talking about a $216,000 mailing.

Yup.  I wasn't thinking of some individual doing this: $216K is relatively
 small change for a reasonably sized organization, though.  On the
 other hand: remember, we live in an age when people like Perot live.

Another consideration is that you could probably interleave: send only
 1 in 5 people one of the letters, and you may very well have a similar
 impact for "only" $44K.

With 250 million people in the US, guess that half of them have DMV
 records, and take a fifth of them: that's $1 million dollars at
 $.20/mailing.  How much do lobbying organizations spend?  Political
 parties?  (Hmmm.  Maybe we could get the House post office to send
 'em).

Another approach might be to try to find small groups of people in
 each county in the US to handle the mailings.

Of course, the details aren't important: the level of awareness generated
 is.  I also agree with the anonymous poster who suggests that we
 wait until there's a real alternative.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Cowboy politicians sucking up to the aristocracy, not
cactus at bb.com  |  even sure if they like democracy..."  - TR-I