Governing an information society - 4/4

L. Todd Masco cactus at bb.com
Sun Aug 21 15:03:33 PDT 1994

In article <gate.ku4FRc1w165w at dxm.ernet.in>,  <rishab at dxm.ernet.in> wrote:
>Data crime - 'cracking', 'phreaking' etc usually reflect a total lack of
>responsibility on the part of _administrators_. "Officer, I left my wallet
>on the kerb 10 minutes ago, and now it's gone!"

Sorry for the tone (sort of), but...

This sounds like typical kiddie-cracker garbage.  It's more like, "Officer,
 I didn't know that master locks could be picked with the greatest of ease:
 arrest that man who picked it and took my wallet."

(It is, in fact, trivial to pick Master locks -- far more trivial than to
 run crack on a passwd file -- yet many people still keep valuables behind
 them.)

Security is a subject that takes time to learn, especially in this day
 of UNIX boxes on the Internet: it is not reasonable to expect that people
 should acquire an intimate understanding of how to implement secure
 methods to have an expectation of privacy.

You can ignore that we live in a technically semi-literate (at best)
 society, but then you have no business talking about the world we live
 in.
--
L. Todd Masco  | "Large prime numbers imply arrest."  - Previously meaningless
cactus at bb.com  |   grammatically correct sentence.  Now...