Single DES cracking vs. idiots

Jim Hart hart at chaos.bsu.edu
Sat Aug 20 11:19:33 PDT 1994

Along with many others, Peter Wayner discusses craching DES:
> I rate that this chip could be 20 times faster than the
> earlier design. That puts it at 100 days per DES attack.

I really don't understand what the concern is here.  We all
have access to crypto that is much stronger than single DES.
Anybody who is using single DES for something so important,
that it is worthwhile to spend 100 supercomputer days to
crack it, is really such an idiot that they deserve whatever
they get.

Jim Hart
hart at chaos.bsu.edu