cfs & remailers

Jim Hart hart at chaos.bsu.edu
Fri Aug 19 00:58:16 PDT 1994

Bill O Hanlon:
> In that case, even if I were to keep logs, all that anyone would know from
> a message is that a particular user used a remailer, or that a particular
> cleartext message had a certain remailer as its jumpoff point.  Not both.

They'd learn both if they had snooped the entire remail chain (which
is the equivalent of collusion).   Going back and retrieving logs
for all the the links, after the snoopers have discovered an
important message they want to trace, is both an easier and a more
likely attack than wiretapping all the links in real time in
anticipation of an important message -- unless the remailer
operators snoop-proof their logs.

Also keep in mind that, given the lack of a good user interface,
there is currently too little properly encrypted and nested remailer
traffic to create anything approaching a true digital mix.

Jim Hart
hart at chaos.bsu.edu