Remailer ideas (Was: Re: Latency vs. Reordering)

bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204 wcs at anchor.ho.att.com
Wed Aug 17 18:02:20 PDT 1994

> > What I think is a better idea was proposed here last year, and I think
> > someone was doing it for a while.  It is for someone to volunteer to
> > be the keeper of the remailer aliveness information.  He runs scripts
> > every day to ping the remailers, keeps lists of which remailers are
> > currently active, and so on.
>
> This does seem like a better idea, except for one thing:
> Everybody has got to trust the Keeper of the Aliveness Info.
> I'm not sure how much of a problem this is, nor am I sure that
> the newsgroup method neccesitates any less trust.

A major problem with having a single-point aliveness-info source is that
watching traffic to that source gives you some idea who's about to send
anonymous messages - multiple sources mean there are N sources to wiretap
to get the same information, which may be nearly as bad.
On the other hand, a broadcast method like a usenet group has the advantage
that you can read the newsgroup without being very obvious, except locally.
A mailing list is somewhere in between.

Similar problems occur with anonymous single remailers in the absence of
good reordering; many new remailer users, or users of unreliable remailers
precede their real anonymous messages with a ping of some sort,
such as a message through the remailer chain pointing back to themselves.

If you're using a news reader without NNTP, or with NNTP only for the
local non-tapped LAN, you may be ok.  Another alternative are mailing lists
(NOT human-readable ones like cypherpunks) which reforward the remailer
newsgroup information, preferably encrypted.

Newsgroups are obviously easy to inject bogus information into, but
that's the way it goes; any non-trusted system is, well, non-trusted....

			Bill