# of Real Tim Mays, RTM (r)

Ben Goren ben at Tux.Music.ASU.Edu
Tue Aug 16 19:06:01 PDT 1994

Um, just out of curiousity, what is supposed to be proved by telling us
how many people named "Tim May" live in various cities?

Some names are relatively unique. I've never met or known of another Ben
Goren, though I did once meet a Benjamin Gorin.

The East [Phoenix] Valley White Pages (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, and a
half-dozen others) is just about an inch thick, and includes over fifty
John Smiths and thirty-five J. Smiths. Altogether, there's about five
pages of Smiths; and the only other Gorens in the book are my parents.

It's probably not all that surprising that we have a plethora of
Diogeneseseses, considering the role "he" played in _Ender's Game._
Pr0duct C1pher (sp?), on the other hand, probably won't ever have a 'nym
conflict.

All this is just an elaborate way of saying, "Tim's right." Duplicate
'nyms should be dealt with the same way duplicate names are now. Mostly,
we shouldn't worry about it all that much.

b&

PS There are no Tim or T. Mays in my phone book. So what? b&

--
Ben.Goren at asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): The battle is over; Clipper is