RemailNet

Phil Karn karn at qualcomm.com
Mon Aug 15 18:08:12 PDT 1994

>There might be at least one good reason for NOT going overseas on
>that first leg.  The NSA's charter restricts it to international
>operations.  By making that first leg a foreign one, you've made
>your transmission, the one with your address visible, fair game
>for them.

In theory, yes. But I've heard rumors from Canadian Bell people that
their American counterparts routinely call them up to ask that they
"throw switches" that they cannot legally throw themselves.

That, plus well documented history, is enough for me to always assume
that they *don't* follow the rules.

Phil