DTB - grim for recreational spies

Mats Bergstrom matsb at sos.sll.se
Thu Aug 11 04:14:11 PDT 1994

The Digital Telephony Bill states up to 15 years in jail
for unauthorized tapping of wireless telephony. It seems
that the EFF puts this on the plus side, as an example of
the enhanced rights to privacy in the Bill. I have a problem
with this approach. In presence of strong crypto, would even
alligator clipping have to be outlawed? (Hidden microphones
and other intrusions inside your estate is obviously another
matter.)

The present state of affairs in many countries (including .se),
that the Ether is free to listen to and with no restrictions
as to what electronic devices (possibly except for weaponry) a
free citizen can construct, seems fair to me. Want privacy
in the all-surrounding electromagnetic spectrum? Use crypto.
If an enterprise expects money for the use of their airwaves they
will have to outsmart the pirates.

Here they recently outlawed the selling/distribution (haven't read
the actual text) of pirate cable-TV decoders, but not the building
or possession of such devices (thanks Mammon, saves me $100 a month).
Even this legislation seems an example of unnecessary government
obtrusion to me. It should not be the business of government to
protect crypto-incompetent private enterprise from loosing money.

And 15 years in jail? Scary, in any case totally out of proportion.
(I cannot yet really believe that the EFF has been involved in this,
being an overseas paying supporter since 2 years. If it comes out
true I will go the way of Mr May - out.)

Mats