No more NSA supra-computer?

Ian Farquhar ianf at simple.sydney.sgi.com
Wed Aug 10 01:07:24 PDT 1994

On Aug 9,  5:48pm, Ben.Goren at asu.edu wrote:
> Yeah, but the guy keeping the list is an Aussie.

> What would you do if MI5 asked you to remove mention of their 10,000 Cray
> Y-MP equivalent from *your* published list? I don't know about you, but
> that's one of the few times I might actually be glad for the TLAs.

Well, I would imagine that it would be GCHQ in that case, but nevermind.
MI5 is the UK equivalent of the FBI.

In the case of an Australian mentioning something the NSA did not want
mentioned, I would point out the existance of the UKUSA agreement (on which
Australia is a signatory).  I doubt that the DSD would contact anyone,
they're rather pleasingly careful about not exceeding their charter.  However,
I would not be surprised if ASIO made a phone call and asked someone to
cease and desist.

								Ian.