CreditCard info

Chris Knight cknight at crl.com
Mon Aug 8 11:35:56 PDT 1994

On Sun, 7 Aug 1994, Garth Brown wrote:

> It's my understanding that it's technically illegal for anyone to require
> your SSN for anything if they are not using it for SS related purposes.
> I had heard that congress passed a law when SSNs were issued to this
> effect.

It's true...  You do not HAVE to give your ssn to anyone other than the
IRS and your employer...  So many companies have changed their
proceedures so that credit apps, buyers club memberships, and that such
stuff, are more of a pain if you do not give your ssn.  They won't make
you give it, but they will make whatever you want harder to get if you
don't...

-ck