CreditCard info

Brian Lane blane at squeaky.free.org
Sun Aug 7 18:02:30 PDT 1994

On Sun, 7 Aug 1994, Garth Brown wrote:

> ----------
> | From: Brian Lane  <blane at squeaky.free.org>
> |   It's unbelieveable (to me anyway) that people would give this kind of
> | information out and trust that it can't be abused. It's bad enough that
> | we're asked to hand out our SS number for everything.
>
> It's my understanding that it's technically illegal for anyone to require
> your SSN for anything if they are not using it for SS related purposes.
> I had heard that congress passed a law when SSNs were issued to this
> effect.
>
> Am I hallucinating, or has someone else heard this too?!

  I have also heard this. At school they ask you for your SSN  when
signing up for classes, but you can get a random id number assigned
instead(I found this out long after giving them my SSN).

  I filled out a credit app at Sears last month that asked for my SSN, I
didn't give it and didn't get credit either. What exactly is SS related
use? Banks, Employment only?

  BRian

    Linux :  The choice of a GNU generation    |  finger blane at free.org
    witty comments pending                     |  for PGP key and subLit