e$: Cypherpunks Sell Concepts

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Aug 7 14:59:51 PDT 1994

At 10:31 AM 8/7/94 -0700, Eric Hughes wrote:
>   >There are two legal problems that I could see being used against digital
>   >cash.  The first is the civil war era prohibition on banks issuing private
>   >bank notes.
>
>   It seems to me
>   that one could just as easily treat digicash as securities denominated in
>   dollars, [etc.]
>
>It didn't occur to me before, but you could also have 'nonbank notes'.
>If the issuer isn't a bank, does the regulation still apply?

OK. Your question has two parts.  First, Eric, what exactly do you mean by
'nonbank notes'. Like the kind issued by corporations in the money markets,
or Amex Traveller's Checks?.

Second, we need a lawyer.  This is a good thing, 'cause a you can't hack
laws without a lawyer (most of the time, anyway...), and
(ObThreadRelevance) we need one to pitch this stuff to other lawyers
(regulators, et. al.) anyway...

In search of Vinnie "the Pro" Bono, honorable second cousin of the esteemed
mayor of Palm Springs,

Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah at shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923