RemailerNet

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Sat Aug 6 14:07:59 PDT 1994

Jim Dixon says:
> You can send from a very large network and forge your TCP/IP or
> (more difficult) Ethernet source address.  But I can sit on the same
> network, build a table relating TCP/IP to ethernet (or whatever)
> addresses, and filter out messages that should not be there.  There
> are commerical packages that do this sort of thing.

Huh?

If you are sitting on a network in England, which you appear to be, I
defy you to record anything at all about the ethernet addresses of the
machines that originated this message. I'll happily telnet to your
machine any time you like, and give you all the opportunity you like
to record the ethernet address of my packets. You might be on the same
internet, but you very likely have no access to the original physical
network, and you have no capacity to build any tables of any sort.

Perry